Reporting to: Manager
Required Qualifications: NNEB, NVQ or equivalent
- Work closely with the manager to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all children in the manager’s care, resulting in the total avoidance of preventable accidents and promoting a feeling of security and satisfaction amongst all parents.
- Manage the staff at Nursery level to ensure morale is kept high within the nursery team.
- To manage stock control ensuring budgets are adhered to.
- Carry out the duties of the manager in his or her absence and use own initiative to carry out any other duties required for the smooth running of the nursery.
- Assist manager to manage and train all Nursery staff to foster good morale, high reputation and to ensure all regulatory standards are met.
- Manage and monitor Nursery standards to ensure compliance and positive reports from all regulatory inspections.
- To closely monitor all personnel within the Nursery to ensure there is a high level of awareness of company policies and procedures.
- As the companies secondary contact with parents, ensure their full satisfaction through appropriate information and feedback.
- In the manager’s absence, manage and report on current Nursery occupancy, and six monthly future forecasting.
- Foster the continued improvement of the Nursery through contribution at staff meetings.
- Receive calls from prospective parents and staff and show visitors around in the absence of the manager.
- Ensure staff are wearing the correct clothing in line with our clothing policy.
- Ensure that all new staff are provided with uniform and name badge.
- Treat all information about staff, children or parents as confidential reporting all enquiries or problems to the manager.
Stock and Budget Control
- Manage stock control of cleaning and art equipment, ensuring there are adequate stocks at all times.
- Ensure budgets of cleaning and art equipment are closely monitored and adhered to.
- Ensure that we have adequate stocks of fresh and frozen food, placing orders when necessary.
- Monitor and record all petty cash expenditure ensuring that all purchases are relevant and appropriate.
Administration and Planning
- Assist the manager with Nursery administration to ensure smooth running, on time reports and maximum income and minimum costs.
- Foster social and educational stimulation through curriculum planning based age and stages of development within a happy and secure environment.
- To maintain routines within each area of the Nursery.
- To maintain a well organised and up to date computer and paper filing system to ensure information is easily accessible.
- Ensure that all development records are completed by the key carer and accessible to parents.
- Maintain a staff shift rota ensuring that correct staffing ratios are met and that appropriate cover is available across all shifts.
- Update and maintain staff sickness and holiday records.
- Advise manager and head office of any staff who take more than their sickness allocation.
Health and Safety
- Assist manager with the implementation of all company health and safety procedures to ensure the wellbeing of children and staff within the establishment.
- Where relevant, ensure risk assessments are carried out to prevent accidents among children, staff, parents and others persons entering the premises.
- Ensure a high level of hygiene is maintained, through the cleaning and sterilising of equipment and that evidence of this is recorded.
- To organise and carry out regular fire drills to ensure all staff are aware of the procedures, in the manager’s absence.
- To ensure accidents within the establishment are recorded appropriately in accident books and information relayed to parents.
- Where appropriate, hold regular room meetings to ensure the smooth running of the Nursery and ensure the manager is aware of their content and outcome.
- To maintain a good level of communication to the manager on everyday occurrences within the establishment.
- To ensure all staff follow company procedures for daily communications to and from parents.
- In the absence of the manager, ensure parents are kept up to date with events, changes and programmes through monthly/quarterly newsletters.
- Report all maintenance requirements to the manager to ensure their immediate attention.